Here's how it works: every 2 weeks we pay $50 to get a crate of organic fruits and veggies.
Here's a shot of our first crate!

One reason I put off taking this step for so long is that most of the CSA's or co-ops I had looked into previously would have required me to drive a long distance and would only allow pickup during the day on a weekday. Since I work 9 hours a day on all weekdays and only get 60 minutes for lunch (we have to send notifications to our entire team when we leave and when we return...so it's not flexible), I was sure my schedule would make it impossible for me to participate in a CSA or co-op.
I was excited to find Your Health Source has pickup areas all over the Dallas/Fort Worth area, many that have Saturday pickups! So we signed up for the Saturday morning pickups in Lake Highlands.
Here's a list of what we got this week:
- Broccoli, 1 bunch
- Carrots, 2 lb bag
- Celery, 1 ct
- Romaine Lettuce, 2 ct Changed to Romaine
- Spinach, Cal Organic, 2 ct
- Squash, Hard, Sweet Dumpling, 1.75-2 lbs
- Squash, Hard, Pie Pumpkin 1 ct Info below
- Tomatoes (Regular), 2 ct
- Apples, Jonagold, 3 lb bag
- Avocados, Hass, 2 ct
- Banana, 3.75-4 lbs
- Kiwifruit, .75-1 lb
- Pears, DAnjou, 3 lb bag
- Valencia Oranges .75-1 lb
We got the pumpkin just in time for Halloween, but I'll probably be cooking it since it's a pie pumpkin.
So, I've got a ton of spinach and lettuce right now. Also a pie pumpkin - I have never made pumpkin pie.
Anyone got any good recipes?